Cavities, also commonly referred to as tooth decay, occur when tooth enamel is broken down by plaque. Preventing cavities takes a minimal amount of effort, but it must be employed on a daily basis. The more you do to prevent cavities, the safer your mouth will be. As the new year begins to open its doors to us, we must continue to employ safe and effective oral health care methods.
Never take your teeth for granted. Here are some excellent techniques for preventing cavities:
– Floss once daily with ADA-approved dental floss or dentist recommended flossing tools.
– Avoid sticky candies, chewy snacks, or other foodstuffs that are difficult to wash away or remove from your teeth and gums.
– After meals, chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes has been shown to fight cavities.
– Visit your dentist at DentalWorks regularly for professional cleanings or oral exams.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with toothpaste that is ADA-approved or dentist recommended.
– Mouthwash is good for rinsing away bad bacteria and food particles.
– Make sure you practice proper etiquette with your brushing tactics including how you brush and how you care for your toothbrush.
As long as you take the necessary steps to protect yourself, cavities can be prevented. If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Jennifer Morgan, please call our office at 903-675-0023. We are located in Athens, Texas. We look forward to making your oral health care for the new year the brightest one yet.